To install Prosper202 on GoDaddy requires about 150 or more changes but those changes can be accomplished very easily and I’ll show you how. I just did an install on a subdomain on GoDaddy, and even though it has been 3 years, the GoDaddy Prosper202 install still has the same hiccup.
Basically it spits an error or two to the screen saying that it cannot find certain files that are needed, when first browsing to Prosper202 after uploading the files.
Replace All Instances Of DOCUMENT_ROOT With SUBDOMAIN_DOCUMENT_ROOT In The Prosper202 Install Files
I’m sure it is more than just GoDaddy that has this “issue” but I know for certain GoDaddy does. It depends though, with the “newer” grid server, these steps might not be necessary and only the standard steps are. But for those that host their sites on older GoDaddy will likely see these errors.
What is happening is there are specific files that contain code and routines that are run frequently within the Prosper202 application. Those files are then “included” within other files where the routines are needed. That way if a change is ever needed for any of the code, the change only has to take place in the “source” file. All of the files that have that file “included” will be updated automatically. It’s sort of like “embedding” if you are used to that terminology. Either way, this is standard practice when programming.
Well in order for the application to “include” a file, the server has to know the location of the file. The variable DOCUMENT_ROOT usually interprets the “root” of the site and therefore the rest of the “path” to the include file can be hardcoded. Well, when using add-on domains in GoDaddy, DOCUMENT_ROOT translates to the “main” site attached to the hosting account. SUBDOMAIN_DOCUMENT_ROOT will translate to the proper path for a given add-on domain. An add-on domain would be the “second” or other domain attached to the GoDaddy hosting account.
Steps For Quickly Changing The Path In All Files
You could open and edit each of the Prosper202 files manually but that would take an awful long time. But if you have a more advanced text editing software (there are free ones) then the time taken can be reduced significantly.
Here are the steps for using the free text editor tool TextPad. The steps may be specific to the Windows Operating System.
1. First, download and install TextPad.
2. Download and unzip the prosper202 files. Open one of the Prosper202 .php files in TextPad. It doesn’t matter which one. Just right-click a file, then click Open with >> TextPad.
3. Click Search >> Find In Files…, or press Ctrl+F5.
4. In the Find what: box put DOCUMENT_ROOT, make certain it has *.* in the In files: box, click the Browse.. button to locate the “prosper202” path on your computer, uncheck all boxes under Conditions: and be sure “Text” is selected and not “Hex,” choose “All matching lines” under Report detail:, put a check next to Search subfolders, and de-select Binary files.
5. Click the Find button.
6. Several results will display. Right-click anywhere within the results and click Open All.
7. Click Search >> Replace, or press F8.
8. In the Find what: box put DOCUMENT_ROOT, in the Replace with: box put SUBDOMAIN_DOCUMENT_ROOT, uncheck all boxes under Conditions: and be sure “Text” is selected and not “Hex,” and choose “All documents” under Scope:.
9. Click the Replace All button.
10. Click File >> Save All, or press Ctrl+Shift+S.
After Following The Above Steps, Prosper202 Is Ready To Be Installed Like Normal
The above steps prepare the install files for use on some of the older servers for GoDaddy where SUBDOMAIN_DOCUMENT_ROOT is translated into a more appropriate path than DOCUMENT_ROOT.
It is still necessary to create a MySQL database and get the database name, username, password and database server values for use in the 202-config file.
Best of luck with your affiliate marketing campaigns!