Having a single account for different purposes like email, maps, calendar and social networking is very convenient. Google provides all that and more with a single sign up. It can save you a lot of time, since you don’t have to fill out multiple profiles and switch back and forth between different Web apps when working or using the Internet for personal needs. Google also makes it easy to sync your Web accounts with all your mobile devices, so you can work and play on the go. Here’s a brief guide on how to make a Google account and which services you can get access to once you sign up.
How to Sign Up for a Google Account
1. Go to Sign Up Page
To create a Google account, go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp to start the process. Alternatively, you can go to the website of any Google service, such as search, Gmail or Google+, click the Sign In button and then click Sign Up on the following page.
2. Choose a Username
If you don’t have a Gmail account, your new username will automatically become your email address as well. You can also use your existing Gmail address to sign up for other Google services. To do this, click “I prefer to use my current email address” under the Username field.
3. Enter Other Personal Details
4. Create a Google+ Profile
Once you are done filling out the first page, click Next Step. Here you’ll be able to add a photo for your Google+ profile, which now is an integral part of all Google accounts. You can also just skip this part and click Next Step.
5. Get Started
In the following step you’ll see a welcome message from Google with your new email address. Click Get Started to begin using different Google services, such as Gmail, YouTube, Maps, Calendar, Drive and more. The majority of these are free, although there are a few premium options available as well.
6. Use Your Company Domain For A Google Mail
Next, you can head over to Google Apps For Businesses and sign up (yes sign up is free but 1 user is like 2€ per month, so really cheap) you can then associate a domain for EACH account
Pro-Tip: Instead of creating multiple business accounts, you can create email aliases and you can assign multiple email addresses to a signle user. Obviously if you want to give someone else its own account, you need to create another user.
Services You Can Access with a Google Account
Here are just some of the services you can use once you set up your Google account.
- YouTube lets you upload, watch and share videos
- Google Play is an Android app marketplace that gives you access to movies, books, music, games and many other application types.
- Google Drive lets you upload and create files, share them and collaborate with others
- Blogger is a free blog hosting platform with a variety of easy-to-use, beginner-friendly features.
- Google+ is a social media platform that lets you stay in touch with family and friends, as well as network with your business connections. Its Hangouts feature lets you hold voice and video group conversations with up to 10 people. Hangouts on Air allows you to broadcast these conversations to a global audience.
- Google Analytics provides users with useful statistics of their website traffic, including such details as visitors’ geographic locations, search keywords and the effectiveness of online ads.
- AdWords allows you to show your ads in Google’s advertising network.
- AdSense lets publishers monetize their sites by running relevant Google ads next to their content. While you can use your existing Google account to sign up, AdSense does require filling out a separate application and getting approval from Google in order to become part of the network.
Sources for this article include: